The Ontario Arts Council recognizes and values the distinctive nature of the arts produced in Ontario’s Northern regions. We also acknowledge that Northern audiences need access to arts experiences.
The Northern arts program addresses some of the particular challenges of Northern artists: higher costs for equipment, materials and travel, limited access to non-governmental sources of revenue and fewer opportunities for professional development. See OAC’s maps of geographic regions to locate your area on our maps.
In fulfilling its mandate, the OAC serves one of the most diverse cultural, racial, linguistic and Aboriginal populations in Canada. Through its programs and services, the OAC supports artists, organizations and communities across Ontario, and welcomes all forms of artistic expression and practice.
Projects eligible for OAC funding through the Northern Arts program include:
- New Work created by individual artists, arts organizations, ad hoc groups and collectives based in Northern Ontario;
- Publications, Presentations, Exhibitions and Festivals that present, promote and distribute the work of Northern artists. This funding stream also supports exhibitions, arts publications, single and series presentations and Northern audience-development projects;
- Professional Development opportunities for Northern artists;
- Collaborations and Arts Services, which bring Northern artists together through conferences, workshops and seminars, or projects that benefit artists’ work and career development.
Northern Arts does not support proposals under consideration for another OAC program. It does not pay capital expenses, ongoing salaries or office costs.
You are not limited to this program.
For more information
- Christina Akrong, Northern Arts Program Officer, 647-258-5075, toll free in Ontario 1-800-387-0058 extension 5075, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marilyn McIntosh, Northwestern Consultant, 807-622-4279, toll free in Ontario 1-866-391-2221, email@example.com.
- Terry Gitersos, Program Assistant, 416-969-7401, toll free in Ontario 1-800-387-0058 extension 7401, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Programs Available to You