OAC supports all forms of theatre, including new Canadian work, text-based theatre, collective creation, Theatre for Young Audiences, clown, physical theatre, music theatre, interdisciplinary work, classical work and adaptations of classics, community-based play-making, puppetry and culturally specific theatre.
OAC provides funding to theatre artists (including playwrights and other creators) and theatre producers (including indie producers, ad hoc groups and theatre companies) who create, produce and present work in all kinds of venues throughout the province.
In fulfilling its mandate, the OAC serves one of the most diverse cultural, racial, linguistic and Aboriginal populations in Canada. Through its programs and services, the OAC supports artists, organizations and communities across Ontario, and welcomes all forms of artistic expression and practice. For equivalent programs in French, see Jets de théâtre and Théâtre.
- Playwright Residency provides grants so Ontario playwrights may take up residence with professional Ontario theatre companies.
- Theatre Creators' Reserve allows professional theatre companies to recommend OAC grants to individual creators and collectives who want to spend time creating.
- Theatre Organizations provides operating funding to not-for-profit professional theatre organizations that have presented at least two years of regular programming.
- Theatre Projects offers grants for creation, production and presentation of professional theatre, as well as funding for festivals and other initiatives.
For more information
- Pat Bradley, Theatre Officer, 416-969-7433, toll free in Ontario 1-800-387-0058 extension 7433, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lucy Gouveia, Program Assistant, 416-969-7432, toll free in Ontario 1-800-387-0058 extension 7432, email@example.com.
You are not limited to the programs listed above.
Other programs available to you
- Aboriginal Arts programs are designed specifically for Aboriginal artists, groups and arts organizations.
- Arts Education and Community and Multidisciplinary Arts programs support artists, groups and arts organizations working collaboratively in schools and community settings.
- The Northern Arts program is designed for artists, groups and arts organizations in Northern Ontario. See OAC’s maps of geographic regions.
- Opera project grants support a wide range of activity, from fully staged productions to new work development.
- Organizational Development helps organizations build capacity through programs such as Compass.
- There are programs that help individuals undertake residencies in Canada, and around the world.
- Skills and Careers includes programs that support artists and arts professionals who want training or professional and career development.
- Touring programs help artists, groups, arts organizations and performers interested in touring throughout Ontario, in Canada and around the world.