, the Ontario Arts Council’s online granting system, program information may change. This includes deadline dates and specific information on eligibility. Be sure to visit this page after the program opens in
To assist theatre creators to develop new work.
This is a third-party recommender program. Using Nova, OAC’s online grant application system, theatre creators apply to theatre companies designated as recommenders for the program (a maximum of ten applications per year). These recommenders assess applications and submit grant recommendations to OAC.
See About Recommender Grants below for more information on the process.
Individual recommender theatre companies may have priority areas of activity or applicants; see each theatre company’s information when the program is active.
The program is active between September 2020 and January 2021. OAC does not set deadlines in this program. Recommender theatre companies set their own schedules for review of applications.
See the Recommenders for Theatre Creators page for application deadlines. The list of recommenders for 2020-21 will be available at the beginning of September.
- minimum $1,000, maximum $5,000
You may receive more than one Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators grant in any one program year (September 2020 – January 2021), towards one project or for different projects. You may receive recommendations from more than one recommender in the same program year. You may apply for a maximum of ten Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators each program year.
Due to the number of applications received and the limited funds available, grants awarded may be smaller than the amount requested.
If you are awarded more than one grant in a single third-party recommender program year, these grants will count as one grant toward your three-grant limit for 2020. The recommender programs are: Indigenous Visual Artists’ Materials, Exhibition Assistance, Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators and Recommender Grants for Writers.
- professional theatre artists who are residents of Ontario with a permanent physical address in Ontario
- ad hoc groups/collectives composed of a majority of Ontario residents
Read the Guide to OAC Project Programs for more eligibility information.
- non-professional applicants
- employees or board members of the recommending theatre organization, or immediate family members of staff or board members
This program funds
- any type of creation activity by eligible applicants
This program does not fund
- creation of non-theatre work – e.g. film, radio or TV, fiction, poetry, etc.
- workshop costs, except when the intention of the workshop is creation
- activities in French (see the Théâtre – projets francophones program)
The activities for which you are requesting funding:
- cannot start before the recommender theatre’s deadline
- cannot finish before you receive your grant results, up to six weeks after the recommender theatre’s deadline
- must be completed no more than two years after you receive the grant results
Final report requirements
If you receive a grant you must submit a final report upon completion of the project. See Terms and Conditions — receipt of OAC project grant funds for more information on reporting obligations. Complete and submit the report in Nova.
Final reports for this program require grant recipients to provide:
- description of your achievements with the support of this grant
- if this piece has been produced, describe how OAC funding has been acknowledged
Complete and submit an application in Nova
, OAC’s online grant application system. Before applying, you must create or update your profile in Nova
Your application includes:
- basic information about the project
- your answers to application questions
- name of recommender you are applying to
- artistic examples as required by the recommender theatre company
- support documents
Complete instructions and requirements are in the application in Nova
For help creating a profile or submitting an application in Nova, see the Nova User Guide.
About recommender grants
Recommenders are organizations authorized by OAC to receive applications, review them and make grant recommendations. OAC allocates a budget to each of the participating recommenders.
Within six weeks of an application deadline, the recommender will notify OAC of their grant recommendations. Funding recommendations are reviewed by OAC for final eligibility, and OAC then sends you an email letting you know that your notification letter is available online in Nova.
If recommended a grant, all grant recipients must acknowledge the notification letter in Nova. Individual grant recipients must also enter their Social Insurance Number (SIN). OAC then sends the grant cheque by regular mail.
- Recommender grants are outright grants to artists from OAC and cannot be represented as any form of payment to or from the recommender, or to or from any member or director thereof.
- Under no circumstances should the grant be considered as a substitute for a commission fee.
Conflict of interest
If you have a conflict of interest with a recommender, you may not apply to that recommender. An applicant is in a conflict of interest if they are:
- a staff or board member of the recommender organization
- an immediate family member of a staff or board member
To further avoid conflicts of interest, recommenders:
- will not have applicants and members of their immediate family participate in the assessment of applications to the recommender
- cannot recommend grants that will be paid back to the recommender organization in any fashion
Recommender Deadlines and Contacts
The 2020-21 program is open from September 2020 until January 15, 2021. Note that the list of participating recommenders is posted in September 2020 when the program opens, and is subject to updates and changes during the program year.
Applicants should review recommenders’ priorities and websites to determine which recommenders are the best match for a particular project.
Recommender theatre companies set their own deadlines and are unable to accept any applications after their deadline has passed.
See List of Recommenders >