Information for OAC applicants about potential Canada Post strike
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) is in a legal position to strike as of July 2, 2016. In the event of a potential strike, regular mail service will be disrupted, and OAC application processing and payment may be affected.
OAC will respond to the impacts of a potential postal strike as the situation evolves, and is taking steps to mitigate the impacts of a potential strike for OAC applicants, OAC grant recipients, and OAC vendors and suppliers.
Instructions for applicants to the July Compass program deadline
If you haven’t yet mailed your Compass application
- The application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, July 12.
- Toronto-based applicants are encouraged to drop off their applications in person at OAC’s office at 121 Bloor St. E, 7th floor. All applications must be received by 5 p.m. sharp.
- Applicants from outside of Toronto, or who cannot drop off their application in person should send their application by courier, and not by Canada Post. We have extended the program deadline so that you can use the least expensive courier option available to you. Applications sent by courier with a postmark of Tuesday, July 12 or earlier will be accepted.
If you already sent your Compass application by Canada Post:
- As long as your application was postmarked on July 12 or earlier, it will still be accepted.
- Applicants may contact Lizzy Braoudakis, Program Administrator, if they would like to notify OAC that they sent their application by Canada Post just prior to the strike.
Instructions for applicants who would normally be receiving grant result notification in late June and early July
In the event of a strike, applicants to the following programs will receive an email from OAC with additional information:
- Dance Organizations (February 17 deadline)
- Literary Festivals and Organizations (March 15 deadline)
- Media Arts Organizations (March 1 deadline)
- Orchestras (March 15 deadline)
- Theatre Organizations (March 15 deadline)
- Visual Arts: Artist-Run Centres and Organizations (March 1 deadline)
- Artists in the Community/Workplace (March 1 deadline)
- National and International Residency (April 1 deadline)
- Ontario Dances (March 15 deadline)
- Orchestras Projects (March 15 deadline)
Instructions for vendors and suppliers working with OAC
Please contact your existing point person at OAC if you need to make arrangements for delivery during a potential strike.
OAC will continue updating our response to the strike as the situation evolves. Appropriate measures will be taken in the event of a prolonged strike. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.