Theatre Organizations: Operating
Until this program opens in Nova, the Ontario Arts Council’s online granting system, program information may change. This includes deadline dates and specific information on eligibility. Be sure to visit this page after the program opens in Nova, but before starting your application.
The program supports the ongoing operations of not-for-profit, professional theatre organizations in Ontario.
The program’s priority is to support organizations that demonstrate a consistent commitment to Canadian work.
April 6 and November 1, 2022, 1 p.m. ET
- In 2022 this program is in year 2 of a three-year cycle and is accepting new applicants.
- Applications are available in Nova about two months before the deadline.
- Financial and statistical reports must be submitted through Canadian Arts Data / Données sur les arts au Canada (CADAC) before the deadline.
- Grant notification will be available about five months after each deadline.
- Normally, OAC operating programs only accept new applicants in year one of their multi-year cycle. This year is an exception: most operating programs, including this one, are open to new applicants in 2022.
- After this year, 2024 will be the next deadline open to new applicants to this program.
- Participation in this program is by invitation only. Potential new applicants must contact the program officer at least one month before the deadline to be considered for an invitation. This process will involve one or more discussions between OAC and the potential applicant to determine its eligibility to and fit with the program, what grant amount to request, and other particulars.
- After being paused last year, multi-year cycles have resumed for all operating programs. The timing of cycles for some programs has been adjusted. A program that was in year 1 in 2020 may now be in year 1 again, for example.
- Ontario-based, not-for-profit corporations, or national not-for-profit corporations with the head office in Ontario
- Organizations must have:
- at least $75,000 in total revenues for the last fiscal year, and in projected revenues for the current and requested years (for applicants not currently receiving funding from this program)
- at least two years of sustained, regular, ongoing programming, as of the application date. If your organization does not meet this requirement, consider applying for project funding
- a range of revenue sources
- an active board of directors/governing body
Read the Guide to OAC Operating Programs for more eligibility information.
- non-arts organizations
- municipalities, colleges and/or universities
Complete and submit an application in Nova, OAC’s online grant application system. You will be able to apply online in Nova about two months before the deadline.
Before applying, you must:
Your application includes:
Complete instructions and requirements are in the application in Nova.
For information on how assessors rate applications see the Evaluation Rubric - Operating Programs.