These programs have been suspended.
Supporting Indigenous Communities and Ways of Life
The Indigenous Culture Fund (ICF) was created to support First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities, culture and way of life. The fund was administered by the Ontario Arts Council (OAC), on behalf of the Province of Ontario through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport (MTCS).
ICF was created through a process of extensive outreach and collaboration with Indigenous communities across Ontario. Its goal was to support cultural priorities and activities as defined by Indigenous peoples and communities, including on and off-reserve, urban, rural and remote.
The priorities of all ICF programs were to support:
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis community-based cultural projects
- opportunities for Indigenous people and communities to build traditional culture and knowledge capacity
- projects that improve the applicant’s ability to learn, access, practice and engage in traditional Indigenous land-based activities, languages, teachings, protocols and ceremonies
- Indigenous cultural knowledge exchange between generations and communities
- youth-led and/or youth-engaged cultural projects
- Elder-led and/or Elder-engaged cultural projects
Note: For art presentations or exhibitions that are contemporary and/or do not involve culture and community in the creation and delivery, see OAC’s Indigenous Arts Projects
Accessibility support funds are available for applicants to the Indigenous Culture Fund who identify as Deaf or as having a disability. This includes ad hoc groups/collectives with one or more members who are Deaf or who have a disability, and incorporated organizations that have a mandate to serve Deaf artists and artists with disabilities and are disability-led (e.g. board/staff who are Deaf or identify as having a disability). Funds are available to cover the cost of any accessibility expenses during the duration of a project. For more information on accessibility support funds for covering the accessibility costs associated with a project, please visit OAC’s Support for Deaf Artists and Artists with Disabilities
The ICF fund was part of Ontario’s response
to the Calls to Action
of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC).